Translate

Patney, Devizes, SN10

2 bed detached house for sale
Ref: A1NQ5000007DU7VIAW

About this property

It is known that there has been a church on the site since at least the 12th century when it belonged to the prior and monks of St. Swithun's, Winchester. In the 19th Century (1876-1878) the church was largely rebuilt at a cost of £1,240 to a design by the architect Henry Weaver, in a 13th century Gothic manner incorporating many elements of its medieval predecessor.

The building is...

It is known that there has been a church on the site since at least the 12th century when it belonged to the prior and monks of St. Swithun's, Winchester. In the 19th Century (1876-1878) the church was largely rebuilt at a cost of £1,240 to a design by the architect Henry Weaver, in a 13th century Gothic manner incorporating many elements of its medieval predecessor.

The building is constructed of malmstone (formerly rendered) with limestone dressings under a clay tiled roof. The bell-cote (bells now removed) has a weather boarded square base, an octagonal louvered stage and a lead covered spirelet. The windows are all trefoiled lancets - two pairs in each wall of the nave and chancel and triplets in the east and west gable walls. All window heads are cut from single stones, some of which are probably medieval. A key feature in the sitting room sits a fully working fireplace and a full height window in the dining room, which opens out onto the garden.

There is some fine stained glass, mostly 19th century and by Kempe. The chancel arch is carried on big half shafts with foliate capitols (possible medieval) and has two chamfered orders.

Ecclesiastical furnishings have been reserved and remain in situ. They include Jacobean oak pulpit, a font of 13th century origins and an ancient medieval ornate piscine, unusually carved out of one stone. Various monuments still adorn the walls. The church is also referenced in Pevsner Architectural Guides. The churchyard has been simply and thoughtfully landscaped and planted to create an attractive country garden, still containing a number of headstones and
tombs, one of which (the Crusader tomb) is separately listed Grade II. The property enjoys a lofty welcoming atmosphere with modern day home comforts of underfloor heating and mains services which combined with the stunning features alongside its versatile nature all add to the overall appeal. The current owner has thoughtfully maintained and improved the property over the last 20 years however there is scope to improve subject to the usual consents.

Outside
The gardens which now surround the church have been attractively landscaped with lawns, stocked flower and shrub boarders, herbs and a variety of trees. Within the garden there are two flagged terraces, a timber summerhouse, a coal store and a log store. Screened behind a trellis, there is a paved area containing a greenhouse and a timber garden shed, with extensive garden/path lighting. There is also a small crypt which is accessed externally at the west end of the church.

Situation
Patney is a small rural village in the heart of the Vale of Pewsey in Wiltshire and within the North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The Marlborough Downs lie to the north and Salisbury Plain to the south with the River Avon flowing gently along the southern border of the village. Trains – the Paddington to Penzance line runs close to the north end of the village. Connections are available at Pewsey, about 15 minutes by car.

Additional Information
Mains water, electricity and drainage are connected.

Oil fired underfloor central heating.
Local authority: Wiltshire Council – 01380 724911



Key Information

Council Tax Band: 4

Tenure: Freehold